Mass to give thanks for 60 years of Catholic education at St Wolstan’s was celebrated 1 October 2015 in the school on Clane Rd on the outskirts of Celbridge, County Kildare. The school was begun by the Holy Faith sisters in 1955 as a day and boarding school for girls on the Dublin Rd. In 1999 it transferred to its present site and is a community school in the Le Cheile Trust.
The school hall was full to overflowing to accommodate the students, staff, guests and provide space for the choir and musicians. Addressing the congregation, Lauren, Head Girl, referred to the school’s tradition of sending girls to third level education at a time when few girls went beyond secondary education. Deputy Head Girl, Laura, remembered how, as a first year, she was impressed by the students’ care for fellow students.
Echoing their comments, school principal, Ms Maria Barry, spoke of the proud traditions of the school and its contribution to preparing students for life in contemporary, inclusive Ireland while at the same time promoting the holistic development of each student through a broad curriculum and an excellent pastoral care program.
After Mass, a tree was planted to honour the recently deceased Holy Faith sister, Euphrasia Bergin, who was chairperson of the Board of Management for many years and was instrumental in the successful transition of St Wolstan’s to the only all-girls community school in Ireland.